The Susliving Demonstration Centre is located at Kingsriver, Ennisnag, Co. Kilkenny and offers practical workshops on a wide range of sustainable living topics. It provides an introduction and hands on approach to sustainable living concepts and practices. Each sustainable living workshop involves a variety of activities that encourages a “learning by doing” approach.
Find out how to:
- Use or lose energy
- Cycle power & know your watts!
- Use different renewable options
- Be warm at home, sustainably at low cost
- Model up front spend and save costs: Have a light bulb moment!
The Renewable Energy workshop introduces:
- Ideas and practices involved in renewable and sustainable energy sources.
- Practical applications such as personal energy use, energy loss at home and in buildings
as well as ways of identifying cost saving opportunities.
- Challenging your behaviour, while also encouraging you to bring your
experiences into your schools and communities.
ο Feel good: Small steps make lasting changes.
Food – Let’s Garden!
Experience hands on approach to:
- Different soil types and their uses
- How to compost and recycle
- Raised beds and vertical gardening
- Window box herbs
- Calendar gardening
- B&B at the Bug Hotel
- Poultry basics – meet Henrietta
Become more aware of:
- Local resources.
- The edible garden.
- Seasonal food.
- The role of wildlife.
- Your garden, your food!
ο Green Living – Healthy Eating
Recycle & Repurpose
Develop your curiosity, imagination and creativity to:
- Discover your local natural building materials
- Utilise natural energy sources
- Build for repurpose
- Develop ideas for:
- Raised beds
- Vertical gardens
- Garden furniture
- Plastic bottle polytunnel
Become more aware of:
- Value of ‘scrap’.
- McIver – Mr Recycle.
- Your impact on the environment.
- Your energy use.
ο Fun and carbon reduction
The Susliving Demonstration Centre offers workshops on many other topics and areas. These topics provide a practical and hands on approach to areas such as:
- Energy Monitoring & Conservation
- Water Monitoring & Conservation
- Costs of Sustainable Living
- Ecology Trail
You may specify particular themes or topics of interest, and request workshops to be tailored to your requirements.
Susliving will also design and tailor specific workshops and short courses around many of the sustainable living themes.
Along with your visit to the Susliving Demonstration Centre we can include a visit to a Community Hall in Waterford, built from recycled materials, as a demonstration of real-world green building practices.
Susliving can also include a visit to a local community where sustainable living is an everyday choice and demonstrates practical biodiversity, green building and renewable energy techniques. One great example of such sustainability is their anaerobic digester which uses bacteria to provide low-cost energy and reduce carbon emissions.